What is a giving circle?
A giving circle is a form of philanthropy, in which individuals pool their monies and time, and decide together where to give them away.
Here are some resources on giving circles:
- Community Investment Network: www.thecommunityinvestment.org
- Giving Circles Help: www.givingcircleshelp.com
- Giving Circles Knowledge Center via the Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers: http://www.givingforum.org/s_forum/sec.asp?CID=611&DID=2661
- Giving Circles Network: http://www.givingcircles.org/index.htm
- The Association of Baltimore Area Grantmakers Giving Circle Connector Network: http://www.abagrantmakers.org/?page=Giving_Circles
Why should I join a giving circle when I can give on my own?
Let’s say you’ve allocated $250 and 20 hours of volunteer time to donate to your favorite nonprofit. By joining a giving circle, you can combine that money and time with your fellow giving circle members, resulting in a much larger gift to that nonprofit. In the process, you’ll meet new friends who share the same values as you; you’ll learn about giving strategically and gain in-depth knowledge about local issues. The education and experience you receive will help to guide your own giving in the future.
Is Black Benefactors a 501c3 nonprofit organization?
The Black Benefactors receives its 501c3 nonprofit status through our fiscal sponsor, Growfund. A fiscal sponsor is defined as a nonprofit organization that provides fiduciary oversight, financial management, and other administrative services to help build the capacity of charitable projects (Source: Council of Nonprofits). Donations made to BB are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
Is it required that I be African American to become a member?
No. Our membership is open to all who believe in our mission to support organizations in the Washington, DC metropolitan area that serve the African American community.
How can I support The Black Benefactors without becoming a member?
Use your expertise by serving as a volunteer. Please contact us at email@example.com and let us know how you can help us.